Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When Kids Come Along...

I have been asked on several occasions, “why are you running for mayor?” Ideally, the answer has always been the same. My wife and I moved to this town in 1996 so that we would have a clean, safe and stable place to raise our children. Being recently married and living south of Barrie, we yearned for a place similar to when we had enjoyed our childhoods. We wanted our children to have what we wanted. We wanted them to have more.
I was raised in a small area known as Albion Hills near the small village of Palgrave. My wife Kelly was born in Orillia and raised in the village of Moonstone. We both understood how our small town experiences were beneficial to our upbringing. We wanted this atmosphere for our kids.
I began working in Bracebridge in September 1996, when my oldest daughter, Dorothy was only three months old. I began working at Evans-Forrec in Bracebridge. It was working for Bruce S Evans Limited where I began to understand how special the Town of Bracebridge was and is. This town was full of artists, designers and craftsman. As well, Bracebridge seemed ripe with entrepreneurs who wanted to make a difference in this world. They wanted to carve out their own special piece of the markets. This was the place to be.
I am running for mayor so that I can provide the leadership necessary to improve this town for my children. To ensure that my children, your children and your grandchildren are provided with opportunity and activity.
Ever thought of how your world changed after you had children? Mine sure did! I think that every responsible parent goes through this same transition in their lives. The activities and freedoms we enjoyed as youth, many may go on hold. We, as parents, are now fully responsible for the next generation. The next group of leaders, athletes, teachers, businesspersons and workers are all in our hands.
It is during this period of your life when you truly determine what is important. When reflecting back on my youth, I understand the importance of my small town upbringing. I know this is important for my kids. Is it important which town? I would suggest not.
Those of you that have spent your entire lives in Bracebridge, that is a great thing. However, it is not everything. Not everyone in this town who has been here their entire life is qualified to lead this Town as its next mayor. For me, a very important aspect of my life was the years spent outside small town life. It was in Ottawa where I learned about small city living, about cultural differences, diversity. I learned how unique Ottawa is in handling activity, active transit, beautification etc. There are few places the size of Ottawa where one can ride their bikes from one end of the city to the other without having to hit a stoplight!
While my hometown upbringing created the foundation for who I am as a person, it was my children who have turned me into the person I am today. From the second I held my daughter for the first time 14 years ago, I knew that my life as I knew it was over. My life was going to change. My role was now uniquely different. It was now time to teach. It was time to provide. It was time to create a positive impact on the most important generation there is, the next one!
My second life has always been in Bracebridge. My life as a parent has 100% been in Muskoka. My dedication to family, my dedication to business and to community has always been here. So, to everyone who believes that it is your kindergarten education that defines you as a mayoral candidate, I say remember how your life changed when you became a parent. Think of how your priorities changed and how your life as a parent defines who you are now.
I ask that you endorse my campaign so that together we can help the next generation, help do better things for this town. I want to improve on what is here. I want more for the next generation. I want to rekindle the entrepreneurial spirit of this town and invite other like minded people to come aboard.
Help me help our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment